Rachel Loischild is a Boston-based artist and photographer as well as a Massachusetts Cultural Council Fellow in Photography. She holds her MFA in photography from Pratt Institute and her BA in studio art from Clark University. Her work has been widely shown nationally at galleries and museums, and internationally at the Jounju Photo Festival in Korea, she was also recognized by the Inge Morath Foundation in IM magazine for her photo essay Estate Sales and in Landscape Stories magazine of Italy for her project Drive-in. Her work is held in numerous collections including the Yale University’s Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library and the Canadian based Magenta Foundation for Photography. Additionally, Loischild is a recent recipient of the City of Boston Arts Opportunity grant. Rachel teaches photography at Clark University and is the Assistant Professor of Visual Arts at Pine Manor College.
2007 Pratt Institute Brooklyn, NY M.F.A in Photography with distinction
2005 Clark University Worcester, MA BA with Highest Honors in Studio Arts, Magna Cum Laude
2004 University of London, Birkbeck College London, England Semester Abroad - Clark University
2002 College of Wooster Wooster, OH Course work in Photography
Grants and Awards
- City of Boston Arts Opportunity fund Grant
Fellowship in Photography, Massachusetts Cultural Council
- For Not As Of Yet- Stories of Aftermath and the Unknown
- Professional Women Photographers Spring 2012 Honorable Mention juried by Mary Ellen Mark
Finalist Inge Morath Award Magnum Foundation Photo essay Estate Sales
- Certificate of Excellence Pratt Institute For outstanding academic achievement
- Alice Higgins Grant Clark University For research and fulfillment of photographic project
- Alumni & Friends Scholarship Clark University
- Academic Achievement Award College of Wooster
Solo and Two Person Shows
2017 Griffin Museum of Photography, Stoneham, MA, Not As of Yet: Stories of the Aftermath and Unknown
2011 Hess Gallery Pine Manor College, Chestnut Hill, MA Boundless Day- Lighted Night, selections from Night Wanderings
2011 Jeonju photo festival Jeonju, Korea Domestic Comfort, works from Back In the Valley
2010 Gallery 263, Cambridge, MA Preoccupied, works from Estate Sales
2007 Stubin West Gallery Brooklyn, NY Tag Sale, MFA Thesis Show
2006 Traina Center for the Arts, ClarkUniversity, Worcester, MA Transcendence of photography photo/sculpture Installation 2005–2006
2005 Schiltkamp Gallery, Clark University, Worcester, MA Nudes and Widows, BA Thesis Show
2002 Black Sheep, Amherst, MA Flos Accumsan - Kalotypes - Untitled works in photography
Group and Juried Exhibitions
- The Curated Fridge, Somerville, MA Juried by Arlette Kayafas
- Griffin Museum of Photography, Winchester, MA, Solstice
- Dorchester Art Project, Dorchester, MA Left Behind, selections of Not As of Yet, Stories of Aftermath and the Unknown
- The Curated Fridge, Photoville Festival, Brooklyn NY Road Trip
- Digital Silver Imaging, Belmont, MA Blink A Photography Pop up Exhibition
- Hess Gallery, Pine Manor College, Chestnut Hill, Mass, Inventory of Reverie, Curation
- Filter Photo Festival, Chicago, IL This may have Happened, juried exhibition
- Art After Clark, Schiltkamp Gallery, Clark University, Worcester, MA
- MCC Fellows in Photography, New Art Center, Newton Ma
- Farewell exhibition 72 Cox Gallery, Beverly, MA
- Detroit Center for Photography , Family, Juried by Aileen Smithson
- Mercer Gallery, Rochester, NY A Reasonable Facsimile, traveling exhibition
- Little Gallery, Rochester, NY A Reasonable Facsimile, traveling exhibition
- Schiltkamp Gallery, Clark University, Worcester, MA FORM+CONTENT+CONTEXT:2013 FACULTY EXHIBITION
- Filter Photo Festival, Chicago, IL 2012 Filter: Unfiltered Exhibition
- Arts at CIIS Gallery, San Fransisco, CA Intamacy and Voyerism: the Public Priviate Divide, SPE 2012 Womens CaucusExhibition
- 72 Cox Galler, Beverly, MA $1000 Reward for the 20 Foot Santa Claus, Juried By Rachelle Beaudoin
- Digital Silver imaging, Belmont, MA Blink A Photography Pop up Exhibition
- The Nave Gallery, Cambridge, MA Alter-Ego II A Photographic Exploration Of All Things Not Digital
- Light Work's Robert B. Menschel Photography Gallery, Syracuse UniversitySyracuse, NY bookMARKs: self-published photo-based printed matter self published book Polaroid's
- Danforth Museum of Art, Framingham, MA New England Photography Biennial 2011, Juried by George Slade selections from Night Wanderings
- 2011 Hess Gallery Pine Manor College, Chestnut Hill, MA Faculty Group show
- Samson Projects Gallery, Boston , MA Chain Letter
- Flash Forward Festival Boston, Boston, MA Fresh Works exhibit selected works from Estate Sales
- Goddard House Gallery, Worcester, MA Roots Selected works from Estate Sales
- Christensen Gallery Augsburg College, Minneapolis, MN A Reasonable Facsimile
- PhotoPlace Gallery Middlebury, VT DIRECT OBJECTS: Still Life as Subject Juried by Wendy Grossman
- Draewell Gallery Judson University, Chicago, IL A Reasonable Facsimile
- Schiltkamp Gallery, Clark University, Worcester, MA Alchemy Art + Science
- Danforth Museum of Art, Framingham, MA New England Photography Biennial 2009, Juried by, Phillip Prodger Selected works Estate Sales
- Mercer Gallery, Monroe Community College, Rochester, NY Herstory Invitational Exhibition Selected works Estate Sales
- Monmouth Museum, Lincroft, NJ Juried Photography Invitational Exhibition selected works from Estate Sales
- Gallery 303, NEIA, Brookline, MA Questioning the Establishment Faculty group show
- Pratt Manhattan Gallery, New York, NY Fine Art Group show
- Cooper Union's Great Hall Gallery, New York, NY INDWELLING: Living in a Female Body Juried by, Joyce Tenneson in collaboration with Umbrella Arts
- Pushkin Gallery Greenfield, MA Untitled, works from Hardware in Brooklyn
- Stuben South Gallery Brooklyn, NY Symposium Juried Show
- Stuben West Gallery ,Brooklyn, NY Through the Window A Photography Group Show
- Aurora Gallery ,Worcester, MA Arts Worcester Members Show
- Aurora Gallery , Worcester, MA Annual Juried Exhibition, Juried by Nick Capasso
- Schiltkamp Gallery, Clark University, Worcester, MA Photography Group Show
Publications, Lectures & Collections
- Yale University, New Haven CT ,Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library
Myrtle Ave - handmade artist book, Night - miniature photo-book
- What Will you remember, review of Inventory of Reverie by Elin Spring
- Art Scope magazine, review of Inventory of Reverie, Five Focal Points to Ponder by Brian Goslow Sept/Oct issue
- Guest Critic RISD second year photo midterm
- Landscape Stories Issue 20 Night, Drive-In: AN aMerican Summers Night
- FlakPhoto Collection by Andy Adams
- Peanut Butter Thoughts, photography magazine
- MPD, Photography Blog
- REVOLT Photography Blog
- Beyond 9th Avenue, art form the northeast
- Dark Silence In Suburbia, Photography Blog
- Blog 4 u
- Lenscratch by Aline Smithson Los Angeles California Features work from Estate Sales and Back in the Valley
- Paulook, by Paola Bondi, Florence Italy Features work from Estate Sales
- Socity for Photographic Education website, featured artist, Selections from “Night Wanderings”
- Featherstone Center For The Arts, Marthathas Vinyard, MA Featured artist lecture and presentation.
- Magenta Foundation, Collection, Toranto, CA Two Beds from the series Estate Sales
- Bookshelf, by Shane Lavalette Featured book Myrtle Av Brooklyn
- IM Magazine, New york, NY Featured article “Estate Sales”
- Jeonju Photo Festival, Jeonju, Korea Domestic Comfort Exhibition Catalogue, Back In the Valley
- DIRECT OBJECTS: STILL LIFE AS SUBJECT, VT Exhibition Catalogue
- Daily Herald, Arlington Heights, IL 'Photo conversation' exhibit coming to Judson University.
- Bulb, Charlotte, NC Look out nikon, here comes iPhone: an exhibition of cell phone photographs
- Metro West Daily News, Framingham, MA Photography Biennial at the Danforth leaves an introspective impression By Chris Bergeron
- Clark University, Worcester, MA Senior Thesis Guest Lecturer
- Monroe Community College, Rochester, NY Panel DiscussionHerstory
- Herstory Exhibition Catalog, Rochester, NY Estate Sale Project
- PowerHouse Magazine, Brooklyn, NY
- Tag sale project – article and selected photographs
- Improper Bostonian, Boston,MA Promotional photographs used in advertisements
- Clark University Photography Portfolio, Worcester, MA Teaching Experience
Pine Manor College Chestnut Hill, MA: 2007-present
2017 - Assistant Professor of Photography in Visual Arts
2012-2017-Professor of Practice in Photography, PT
2007-2012- Adjunct Professor of Photography- Visual Arts Department
- Teach introduction and advanced photography coursed in digital, traditional black and white darkroom based photography, and alternative process, classes with an emphasis on critique and historical context.
- Darkroom/ Digital Lab and photographic facilities coordinator.
- Operational manager of the darkroom; order and maintain chemistry, coordination of lab technicians, work study students, maintenance of all darkroom and photography equipment, digital print lab, and studio.
Clark University Worcester, MA Instructor of Photography
2015-Present -Professor of Practice in Photography, PT
2009-2015-Faculty of Photography, PT- Studio Arts Program, Department of Visual and Performing Arts
- Teach introductory classes in both digital and traditional black and white darkroom based photography with an emphasis on critique. Courses in both undergraduate program and COPACE (College of Professional and Continuing Education)
New England Institute of Art Brookline, MA
2007-2009- Adjunct Professor
- Lecturer of Photography
- Taught a variety of digitally based photography classes in addition to courses in the history of photography. Faculty liaison to Photo Club.
- Introduction to Photo Media - Freshman Seminar Survey course covering range of photographic media emphasizing the narrative power of photography as means of creative expression.
- Introduction to Photography 35mm SLR, medium format, large format, black and white darkroom printing, critique with emphasis on fine art and history of photography.
- Introduction to Digital Photography Digital SLR, Photoshop, large format digital inkjet printing on Epson printers, critique with emphasis on fine-art and history of photography.
- Advanced Digital Photography Digital SLR and scanned film of all formats, large format digital inkjet printing on Epson printers, advanced Photoshop techniques covered, emphasis on cohesive portfolios.
- Basic Photography 35mm SLR, black and white darkroom printing, in class critique.
- Special Topics in Photography Analog based photo projects with emphasis on critique and cohesive body of work/portfolio.
- Advanced Studio in Photography Analog based photo work with emphasis on technique both in capture and printing.
- Alternative Processes in Photography Focus on hand coated historic print processes from digital negatives, paper negatives and traditional negatives,
- Editorial Photography Project based, for publication, digital capture.
- Location Photography Project based, off campus work, digital capture.
- History of Photography Taught with an emphasis on inspiring the creative process, covering photographic techniques from its inception to contemporary works.
- Portraiture Project based, with emphasis on story telling, defining portraiture in the broadest sense.
- Studio Photography Technique based studio work, including studio lighting and conceptual development of staged photographic works, all digital capture.
- Large Format and Studio Lighting Large format view cameras, analog and digital backs, studio lighting techniques covered.
- Professional Development An introduction to professional practices.
- Marketing and Self Promotion A continuation of professional practices introducing promotional material.